Columbia Legal Services is one of the only legal aid organizations in Washington able to engage in systemic change work through lobbying and class action litigation because we don’t take any government funding. Every year, we push the legislature to advance social, racial and economic justice for people in Washington. In 2024, we are asking legislators to:
- Fighting for free communications between people in prison and their families. (SB 6021)
- Improving data transparency on farmworker wages. (SB 5996/HB 2226)
- Protecting the rights of people who shelter in their vehicles.
- Continue supporting immigrant equity in state programs.
- Protecting tenants from unfair and deceptive practices by landlords. (HB 2114/SB 5961)
- Promoting oversight of local jails.
TIMELINEImportant Session Dates
First Day of Session
Lawmakers begin meetings and committee work, considering proposed bills that will impact Washington’s laws on a variety of issues.
Last day to advance bills out of policy committees
Policy committees have until today to decide which bills will advance this session. Bills with fiscal impacts will then have to be voted out of fiscal committees by February 5.
Last day to pass bills out of their house of origin (House or Senate)
If they do pass out of their house of origin, bills will then be considered by the other legislative body (House or Senate).
Last day to pass bills out of committees in opposite chamber
The committees considering bills received from the opposite chamber have until today to decide which bills will continue to advance. Bills with fiscal impacts will then have be voted out of fiscal committees by February 26.
Policy bills must pass out of the opposite chamber by today at 5pm.